I am pleased to announce the BETA release of nBill 2.0. This is almost fully functional - the only things missing now are license key checking (it has a fixed license that expires on 31st March 2010), the ability to upgrade automatically, and a lack of language packs and extensions - although most payment gateway extensions written for nBill 1.x should now work with nBill 2.x. I am still planning to release a stable version around the end of this year or beginning of next.
This BETA release is for testing, evaluation, and demonstration purposes ONLY, and should NOT be used for any other purpose. I cannot guarantee to provide an upgrade path from the BETA to the full version.There are some important things you should know before you install this, so please read the following notes carefully!
1) The BETA release will stop working on 31st March 2010. You will not be able to access the component after that date (by which time a stable release will have been made)
2) There is no upgrade path from the BETA version to the next release. As such, when you uninstall, all of the database tables will be deleted. This will not happen in the final version (to allow for upgrades), but do not store any information in this release that you want to keep, as sooner or later it will be deleted or inaccessible to you!
3) There are some NEW PREREQUISITES for nBill 2.0:
- It will only work on PHP5 (5.3 or later preferred - NOT 5.2.5, as that was a buggy release of PHP!)
- If used on Joomla 1.5 without legacy mode, the MySQLi extension for PHP must be installed (it is by default on most installations of PHP, but Windows users might need to edit php.ini and insert (or uncomment) the line that loads the mysqli DLL file)
- SimpleXML must be installed - it is by default on PHP5, so that should not be a problem
- Please use an AJAX-capable browser such as IE7, IE8, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Opera. IE6 is NOT SUPPORTED for some features in the back end (IE6 will still be ok for the front-end features though).
5) If you use IE7, the form editor might not be re-painted when you first load it or make a change to a field. This is due to a bug in IE7. You can either click on another tab then back to the previous one, move the pane splitter, resize the window, or some other action to force a re-paint, OR (better still) upgrade to IE8.
6) Extensions (other than payment gateways) for nBill 1.2 will NOT work on nBill 2.0 - the installer will not accept them. Most payment gateways for 1.x should work on 2.x, but if you have a payment gateway that was written by a 3rd party and is encrypted, it might not be possible to use on nBill 2.x without some modification. Contact the person or company who supplied the gateway to see if they plan to create nBill 2.x versions of their gateways.
7) If you use nBill 2.0 on Joomla 1.0 OR Mambo, please ensure gzip page compression is turned OFF in your Joomla (or Mambo) global configuration page (there are bugs in both systems that prevent this from working with some component files). Joomla 1.5 is fine with gzip in both legacy mode and native mode.
) It is safe to install this on a site that is already running nBill 1.2 - it will not interfere with nBill 1.2 at all, as everything is named differently. If you choose to install nBill 2.x on a live website though, you do so at your own risk.
9) If nBill 2.0 is installed on a site that is already running nBill 1.2, it will offer to migrate the data from 1.2 to 2.0. If you select to do this, it will not affect your nBill 1.2 installation in any way - it will just copy the data over and convert it into the format required by nBill 2.0.
10) This is a BETA release. There WILL be bugs! Please report any problems, observations, and suggestions to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following install package should work on all 3 CMSs (Joomla 1.0, Joomla 1.5, and Mambo), but if your server has tight restrictions on file sizes, you might need to use one of the CMS-specific alternatives that follow. Here is the combined install file: http://www.nbill.co.uk/dmdocuments/com_nbill_2_0_2_BETA.zip
I urgently need your feedback about this release - in particular, any bugs that you might encounter. I will be re-arranging the forum over the next few days to provide a separate area for nBill 2.x related issues. The first 10 people to report a genuine bug (either by e-mailing me, or posting on the forum) will be granted a free upgrade from nBill 1.x to nBill 2.x when the stable version is released.